Friday, November 11, 2011

11-11-11

Honoring our Veterans and loving our corduroy!

11-11-11

I did not make my corduroy quilt. My Mom and I bought the top at a Goodwill or Salvation Army store more than 25 years ago. I have been carrying this top around with me ever since -- and would probably be carrying it around for years to come if LeeAnn at niftyquilts not alerted us to Corduroy Appreciation Day. Thanks LeeAnn! I love this cuddly little quilt and I doubt I would have gotten around to finishing it had it not been for you.

It is still not completely finished. I have about a third of the quilt left to tie and half of the binding to stitch down, but it was presentable enough to debut today. I got the chance to study it as I tied: there are about 24 different corduroys in the quilt, mostly narrow wale, a few medium wale. The wales are mostly parallel to the long side of the rectangle, but a few are perpendicular. The naps do not all go the same direction (which sometimes made it confusing when trying to count the colors). I decided to "over-tie" it and like the extra dimension the black ties add. (Rachael said they look like birds flying over colorful fields. Tonya said they reminded her of bats.) I am happy to say that I did not have to buy anything to finish this quilt -- cowboy flannel, butterscotch binding and black pearl cotton were all on hand.

with cowboy backing

tied corduroy quilt

12 comments:

Nifty Quilts said...

Oh, it's so colorful and happy! 24 different corduroys! That's got to be a record. Love the extra dimension those ties add. And what could be more perfect than cowboy flannel! I'm so glad that you could join the party!

beth said...

THat cowboy flannel is SO perfect! I'm using what I have on hand too and am certainly jealous of your "on hand" flannel as I piece mine today! ;)

Sujata Shah said...

Those ties do look like birds flying in the distance! Love the fact that there are so many corduroys in one quilt. Lucky you to have found this gorgeous quilt and thank goodness that you held on to it!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Woohoo!! What a quilt!! I'm not sure what I love more, the colours, the ties that look like birds, the awesome cowboy flannel. It's the combo!! Very cool clock too!!

Kathy said...

Those little ties do look like birds. They remind me of the huge flocks of starlings we often see flying as one swooping unit. I love the colors in your quilt. So cheerful!

Magpie Sue said...

That cowboy flannel is perfect for the back! What a terrific quilt you're going to have when it's finally done (later today maybe?). Thnaks for sharing it with us.
:- )

Elaine M said...

Just lovely. What fun colors!

Sharon said...

Beautiful! I love all those happy colors, and those black ties just set them off great. What a lucky find at Goodwill! I'm glad you're getting it finished - it's going to be so comfy and cuddly. Happy 11-11-11!

Manda said...

That is a lots of ties! Looks great though, like you said I think the ties are another lovely feature. Lots of great texture in this! Bet it will be nice and warm too! :)

Béa said...

Oh very interesting & lot of colours, beautiful !

MulticoloredPieces said...

Stopped by from Nifty's to admire your corduroy quilt. What a find and it looks lovely finished.
best from Tunisia,
nadia

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth, thank you for your kind interest. I'm working with my husband at the shop (we sell and repair tvs). Still don't know for how long. I keep quilting and gardening to keep balanced and there isn't left much time for blogging or browsing in internet.
I hope to join soon again.
Wonderful work the corduroy quilt. So colorful and happy!!. I know that is hard work. I did one with my daughter clothes.
Keep happy!!