Sunday, August 19, 2012

Streak of Lightning QAL -- Choosing Fabric

The sky is the limit!

The original quilt has about 28 different fabrics -- large & small scale prints, plaids & solids. Some occur repeatedly, some only once. But I think the important thing here is the fabrics' values -- their relative lightness & darkness -- rather than the print or color of the fabrics. You can be as wild or as controlled as you want. This QAL might be an opportunity to use up some of your long held fabrics -- you know, those cuts that are a little old & don't quite go with anything but that you just can't bring yourself to get rid of. It is also a great project for re-purposed fabric, either from thrifted or family clothing. LeeAnn & Sujata used thrifted clothing for their fabric palettes: LeeAnn's top gives a salute to the Bold Improvisation quilt, then she added that awesome barkcloth border. Sujata went completely over the top with an all bright floral top with a subtle grouping of the prints.

 LeeAnn's Tennessee Lightnin':

IMG_1512

Sujata's Painted Zigzag:

Painted Zigzag

As for me, I'm trying to turn my back on my inner Fabric Worrier -- she always makes this process too hard! I'm going to jazz up those Laura Ashley with pinks & oranges, a plaid or 2, some crazy stripe-y prints. I've cut some triangles & am VERY excited to get going on this one!

laura lightning (& kitty toes)

Before I decided to go with the florals & was fussing over what fabrics to use, I saw, at the bottom of the shelf, some Elvis prints from long, long ago. Folded among them were music prints in red, black & white. I was packing for my trip north & decided to grab Elvis by the horns, so to speak, & cut some triangles to sew while I was away from home.

elvis lightning

And how about light green & linen lightning -- a Modern take on the Streak of Lightning? Quite a few of these pieces are fat quarters -- the small amount of fabric may prove interesting. Hmmm.

 green & linen lightning

Another possibility, my collected & hoarded black birds & brights. I love this grouping & don't often see them because they are tucked away. They have been long awaiting the perfect project, maybe this is the one!

black bird lightning

Join us on the Flickr group & show us the fabrics you are thinking about!

6 comments:

Nifty Quilts said...

What a great post on fabric choices! I think this quilt is a good exercise in finding contrast among our fabrics. I love this pattern, because everyone who makes it will come out with something that uniquely shows their own personal signature. Thank you for hosting this QAL!

Karamat said...

Love your stash of birds on black and brights!

Sujata Shah said...

Great post on fabric selection. This quilt is a good exercise for finding values in fabrics. Contrast can be washed away with floral prints as you can never predict the cut. Which by the way, adds tremendous movement to the zigzags.
I am excited for this QAL you have started and looking forward to seeing all the fun prints you are digging out of your sewing room.

Julianne said...

Hi, when does this QAL start? I've been wanting to do a half square triangle quilt in black, whites and reds for a while...can anyone join in?

beth said...

My favorite grouping are those blackbirds and brights! What a great combo! Hoping to work on my streak.O.L. today!

O'Quilts said...

I AM doing this..I will NOT be left out. It is so exciting and you are a good leader...girl..thank u.