Sunday, June 16, 2013

I'm still here

Yeah, I'm here -- busy with work & having bad days & slightly better days & longing for time off for some rest & restoration.

I went north for Memorial Day. My brother & I went together to the family cemetery, stopping on the way to have a picnic lunch at a favorite spot of our parents'. The weather was sunny & mild, the country cemetery was pretty & it was very nice going together.



I am sewing some.
Mostly doing what Lynn Roddy Brown calls "mental health sewing" -- just assembling parts. More & more lap & baby quilt tops are getting made for donation -- I'm getting quite a stack! I'm also 'working' on 3 projects for other people: for a friend's birthday, an Irish Chain in shades of green -- simple, but slow-going because the 9-patches are 3 inches finished; Shug's 'birthday' shirt -- yes, the one I began last year -- it remains unfinished (hangs head in shame); & a Jayhawk basketball t-shirt quilt for my MIL, not begun, still in the thinking stage, but it should be fun to do.




I've also got the HMQG challenge with Denyse Schmidt's Florence line. 16 fat eighths. Sounds like a lot of fabric, but really isn't so much. The line made me think of prints from the 1940s, so I'm doing an old-school-ish block & using a muslin-like solid to stretch them. I like the way it is shaping up, I just need to sit down & do some piecing.



I have 4 quilts that I really want to get quilting on: Laura's Lightning -- a bit more than halfway done; I have an awesome back prepped for my Swoon blocks with the Marcia Derse fabrics -- I'm thinking of simple, wavy-line quilting; the little quilt made for the Michael Miller's Madrona Road challenge (I had thought I might give this little quilt to my Mom {sigh}); & my scrappy-trip-along with the cherry-chocolate-y fabrics is ready to sandwich.

But I tire easily, am restless & can't focus for long. So I'm not making any serious progress on any one project.

5 comments:

amy and the bad cats said...

glad you're still here and that your'e sewing, even if it is just mental health sewing! your charity quilts will be much loved by someone. i really like the block you're doing for the florence challenge! missed you at the BBQ yesterday!

O'Quilts said...

Soo glad to see you back posting and sewing... of course...Sending hugs from Charlotte.

Rachaeldaisy said...

There you are! Mental Health Sewing sounds good to me. There's nothing wrong with slow progress, though to me it sounds as though you've been doing lots! Take care and look after yourself.

cauchy09 said...

Looks like a feast of quilterly fun. And I totally hear you about grief. Not sure I've had a single complete thought since February. But let's take it easy and allow the healing to happen.

{{hugs}}

Fiodhna said...

Sending you love my friend.