Monday, October 13, 2014

The lies that lying liars tell

Do you recall me saying that I was not going quilt with my wiggle-y walking-foot zigzag for a while?

Well, I lied.

To date, I have 5 quilts I've kept & a few I've given away that I have quilted with this manipulated programmed stitch. The first time I used it was in combination with straight stitching around oval templates -- the result was a braid-look. After that I did parallel lines, the others have all been grids of varying widths, some parallel, some perpendicular to the quilt edge. I LOVE the look I get with it -- especially after the quilt has been washed & dried -- so cozy & crinkle-y.


But I worried I was over-using it, getting in a Wiggle-y Zigzag Rut, so to speak, so I "vowed" to leave it behind. I should have waited to make such a sweeping statement. I quilted all the + quilts with it. With 3 quilts made assembly line-style, I wanted quick, easy & utilitarian quilting -- the wiggle-stitch is perfect for this & I think it looks a little fancier than it is. It is also great for in-the-ditch quilting, hides any wobbles away from the Straight & Narrow. I also like it with very perpendicular patchwork, kind of softens & counterbalances the look. Now that the Christmas quilts are done, I'm using The Wiggle Stitch on my dotty 16-patches. As soon as I began piecing them, I saw them quilted with this stitch -- more blocky patchwork calmed with snake-y stitching.






Never say never, right? :-}



6 comments:

Rachaeldaisy said...

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!!! You're on fire with making all of these fabulous quilts. Surely you can't use too much of a good thing especially when it has possibilties for a variety of fun names!!

Nifty Quilts said...

The wiggly stitch seems to work great on all of your quilts. You could call it a series. Or maybe even a signature!

roccagal said...

Deny everything!
They look just FANTASTIC!(and they are DONE!!!)))

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love that stitch - wondr if I can do that with my Bernina? Hmmmmmm......

amy and the bad cats said...

i think it's a fabulous quilting stitch and you should use it however many times you want!

O'Quilts said...

Worried that you are a wiggle wonder?? Wonderful work!!