Wednesday, July 24, 2013

What's the quilting equivalent of burpees?

In a recent post about my fabric "problem", I & several people who commented to the post, made a parallel between fabric acquisition & usage to health & fitness.

Easy -- if you want to diminish your amount of fabric/lose weight, use more/burn more fabric/calories than you buy/eat.
Well, easy in concept.

I've been wishing for a quilter's version of Jillian Michaels, someone over my shoulder at the sewing machine shouting, "Give it to me! Give it to me! Give it to me!" to help keep me on track with piecing & quilting. (Not really. That wouldn't be stressful at all, would it?) These days I'm having real trouble sitting & focusing for long on anything, that includes my patchwork. I've been making the effort to spend time each day on my Physical Fitness. So to attain Fabric Fitness, I need to dedicate a similar amount most days to cutting/piecing/quilting.

After my workouts with dvd Jillian (which do include burpees) I'm trying to get together with a sewing machine, iron or rotary cutter & spend serious time plowing through fabric. This weekend I added to my pile of self-made quilt kits -- strips, squares & triangles for donation quilts. I also cut some strips for a project to keep. And I basted 2 quilts (one is already quilted!).
Not too shabby!




"Intention! Power!! Push yourself!!! Don't phone it in!!!!!"

5 comments:

Cassie said...

oooh! swoon progress!! yay!

Nifty Quilts said...

Yea, not too shabby at all! Your program is sure making you productive! Never thought of "fabric fitness." I've got plenty of shaping up to do!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Lol!! This is brilliant, Fabric Fitness is a great concept!! I like the idea of self made quilt kits too. What a great thing to do when you feel like cutting, so you're ready for those days when you just feel like sewing.

amy and the bad cats said...

ha! this really made me laugh! there are definitely days when i wish i had someone pushing me to sew/quilt. this week i started paper pieced wonky log cabin blocks that finish at 6". these have been great for mostly mindless sewing plus using up scraps, so i've been making myself sew at least 2 per night. it must be working, as i started sunday and i'm up to 12 blocks already!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

I hate burpees but I do them because they work! Not sure what the favric equivalent of that would be....