Monday, June 08, 2015

Pandora's closet

Actually, not Pandora's closet, just my closet.
It doesn't contain the ills of the world, but it does contain a LOT.

In the corner of my sewing room there is a piece of furniture that was formerly used as a chair. It is now the base of a mountain of fabric, quilt tops & backs, basted quilt sandwiches & more fabric. I was rather hoping to return it to its original function, so I began tidying. I gathered things I was not going to get to any time soon; I pushed towards completion several things that were teetering on the brink of being done. It is very subtle, the uninitiated eye might not see the difference, but I think there is a slight decrease in amount of chaos in the room. (Though the chair is still not a chair.)

When I was rearranging things in the closet, I pulled out a summer, battling-less & backless, quilt that my Mom bought for me many years ago. Sadly, I don't well remember the details of when or where she got it. I have a vague recollection that she found it at a neighborhood garage sale, sometime since Shug & I have been married. I also vaguely remember not being all that pleased with it -- the appliquéd ladies were not my style &, at the time, I was not fond of the fabrics. But I love it now & wish I could thank my Mother for getting it for me.
Thanks, Mom, I love it! And I love you!




5 comments:

Rachaeldaisy said...

Ohh I love it too!! Lots of lovely ladies and those fabrics!! I love that it was there on your fabric mountain chair just waiting patiently for you to appreciate it, accompanyed with lots of love from your Mom.

Nifty Quilts said...

So precious and pretty. Kind of like a visit from your sweet mom.

Linda said...

Such a lot of work in this quilt, it's lovely. Reminds me of an embroidered handkerchief my Mum had and when she died 40 years ago I kept all of her handkerchiefs and still use them today.

O'Quilts said...

NIce post for another lovely lady! I remember this pattern but my mother was so not into quilting..she couldnt wait for me to get over it and do something intellectual...like her probably...writing..ha ha...nice quilt and nice memory of your mother. I do not know how I missed this post...befuddled I am sure.

Carla said...

Nice post. The ladies aren't really my style either but I love them and have some patterns similar that I hope to make one day.
Wrap yourself in that blanket and it'll be like a hug from your mom.