Sunday, September 20, 2015

Quilt of Shame

My brother & his wife were married 12 years ago. They married almost exactly 8 months after my brother's & my Dad died. My sister-in-law-to-be had already been a part of the family for a while then; she was there with us through Dad's diagnosis, treatment, death & had been a support to all of us. Their wedding felt like a family renewal, so I wanted to make something special for them.

A wedding ring quilt, right?!?

But a cheater sort of wedding ring -- the ring arcs appliquéd on to squares. No problem! The finished top was gifted to them at their rehearsal dinner.

Then came twelve years of quilting.
Not literally, of course -- twelve years more-off-than-on quilting.

I am such a better &, more importantly, a smarter quilt maker now. I know my strengths & I know my weaknesses. This quilt was waaaay more quilt than I could handle back then. But as I got smarter in the following years, when I would pull this quilt out to work on, all I could see were its flaws.
Well, it is done now. It looks a bit dated (12 years, approximately). It will soon be with its rightful -- & patient -- owners.



3 comments:

O'Quilts said...

Ha Ha...this makes you a true quilter for sure...I am truly sorry that your bro and his wife have been cold so long. Good for you to do a finish!

Nifty Quilts said...

It's still a wonderful quilt. It's stood up to the test of time. Good thing their marriage did too!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Yay!! It's done!! And I know it will be treasured and loved for being such beautiful quilt made with love.