Saturday, April 29, 2017

What would Jennifer do?

My brother's wife died Christmas morning -- unexpectedly, quickly & much too soon.

She & I were alike in some ways -- both stubborn, opinionated & bossy -- but very different in other ways. She was boisterous, spontaneous, gregarious; she lived life turned up to 11. Me? I rarely turn it up to 6. Over the years, because of our similarities & our differences, she sometimes made me pretty mad (I'm sure I made her mad as well), but I always loved her because she was lovable. I hope she always loved me.

The 2 days she was in the hospital, being 800 miles away, all I could do was keep my phone close, worry, weep & regret that I was not near enough to help support my brother & say good-bye to my sister-in-law.

To keep my mind & hands occupied, I sewed. I picked up a couple of projects at hand & sewed & sewed & sewed. I sewed until I was exhausted.

I began the cake stand blocks late last year. I quickly set them together that weekend.


The other project I worked on was one using parts from a scrappy little top-let that I got at Quilt Festival -- an irregularly-shaped thing of 22 6-sided wheels made with 50s era fabrics. I had taken the wheels apart, but then what? How do I make a quilt from 22 wheels? I had decided on how I would set them together & had cut some muslin triangles to fill in the gaps. I was sewing triangles to wheels, when I nearly literally gave myself a shake.

"Why are you being so cautious!?! It's only fabric! It's only color! LET GO!! Turn it UP!!!"

So I pulled out a vintage floral & pinned the wheels to it. They seems to float about the flowers. Without much thinking, I cut triangles & strips & sewed it all together.


Neither is finished, but each was a lesson in spontaneous sewing using my new motto: What would Jennifer do?

9 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh both lovely quilts! You are right on--it's only fabric is the way to go..hugs, Julierose

Nifty Quilts said...

So sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. I guess it took awhile before you could talk about it. You did make good use of your grief with sewing therapy. I love the cake stands and the wild and perfect background with the wheels. Thinking of what Jennifer would do is a lovely way to keep her with you. Hugs. BTW, I don't find you bossy at all!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Sending hugs for your ongoing healing. I really like the background for the wheels and the cake stand blocks are just so much fun. Your new mantra seems to have worked its magic with these two projects. May it stay with you as you finish them.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Two lovely projects, well on the way looking at your photos. Your scrappy 'cake stands' is wonderful, it's been on my 'to do' list for ages! And I love your vintage floral!

cspoonquilt said...

I'm sorry to hear your sad news. Sewing is good therapy and experimenting is good therapy too. Those cake stands blocks are fun, Ive been working on a similar design. take care.

beth s said...

So sorry for your loss. I've found sewing to be great therapy too!

O'Quilts said...

So wonderful...to be free and wild and sew...in Jennifer's memory...I understand..
xxoo Diane

مروة محمد said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.